1. "What do you hear?"--sound is played
2. Adult counts to 5-8 in his/her head to give the child time to process the question and the sound that was heard.
3. Adult provides a choice of answers.
When providing a child choices, there are a number of different ways to do so and with varying degrees of assistance. The less options the easier it is for a child to answer the question. The more different the two choices are the easier it is for the child to choose the correct answer. Again to clarify look at the two examples below:
More Help Provided (easier to answer correctly)
* Sound (cow mooing) is played maybe even twice
* Adult gives child two visual choices using photos of extremely dissimilar things--cow and cup
Less Help Provided (more difficult for the child to answer)
* Sound is played (cow mooing)
* Adult gives child two verbal choices or items in the same category--cow and horse