The best way your child can learn using these apps is if you ENGAGE with them. Your child will learn some without your interaction, but your interacting with them will build their social interaction skills, joint attention skills, and sharing skills as well. In therapy, apps are always presented as an interactive experience. I have given words/concepts to use when playing together with each recommended app. Be cautious not to simply use the iPad (or other forms of technology) as babysitters. Click here for a article that discusses this topic further. The use of apps needs to be in balance with other forms of play.
Have fun playing with your kids!
| || |
1. Miny Moe Car--$1.99---Within this app your child gets to: put gas in a car, fix a broken light and window, drive a car, race, and wash the car.
***Words/concepts to use with this app: car parts vocabulary, uh-oh, off, on, in, out, fix, more, clean, dirty, wash, all done, help, drive, stop, and go.
*******Words/concepts to use with this app: sit, go, stop, push, in, wait, drive, colors, animal vocabulary, more, all done, fast, slow, on, off, turn, right, left, clean, dirty, water, soap/bubbles, dry, trash, and beep.
3. Happy Touch Car Wash--FREE with in-app purchases---The free app comes with 2 free cars to clean over and over with multiple steps, and paid options to unlock up to 20+ more different vehicles to clean.
***Words/concepts to use with this app: go, stop, clean, dirty, wash, car parts, wet, dry.
4. Dr Panda Airport--$2.99---Within this app your child will get to stamp passports by matching shapes, make a phone call, go through baggage claim, ride a car to the gate the character needs by finding certain numbers and shapes, find common objects in the lost and found, wash the plane, put air in the plane tires, and land planes by matching colored planes to colored terminals. Click below to download and then print an aided language board I made to go along with this app.
****Words/concepts to use with this app: in, out, on, off, shapes, numbers, letters, animal vocabulary, go, common objects identification, get, go, clean, dirty, plane parts, up, down, forward and back.
****Words/concepts to use with this app: construction vehicles vocabulary, dig, dump, pour, lift/pick up, put down, take off, put on, build, color words, paint, put in, up
6. Kids Car Town----FREE or Kids Car Town 2---$2.99 Within this app your child drives a variety of vehicles that community helpers use. Pairs the vehicle with the job of the community helper or activity to do with that vehicle (i.e., car to the grocery store). Some vehicle tasks are quick (15 secs) and some are longer (1 minute).
****Words/concepts to use with this app: vehicle vocabulary, go, help, my turn, your turn, ask/answer where questions, put on, right, left, up, and down.
***Words/concepts to use with this app: vehicle vocabulary (labeling and identifying), my turn, your turn, I see____, I hear_____, colors, turn page, day, night, stop, go
| || |
9. ABC GO----$2.99---In this app, your child will learn the vocabulary for means of transportation--vehicles and via animals. There are multiple examples of planes, trains, etc with either kid-safe videos to watch or interactive scenes. The link above also provides a FREE download of an ABC To GO Coloring Book for a variety of the vocabulary within the app! So even if you choose not to get the app consider downloading the coloring book.